Shakespeare Santa Cruz
UCSC Theater Arts
Shakespeare Santa Cruz 2013 Season
For information on season packages click here
For information on, or to purchase tickets for individual shows:
-The Taming of the Shrew
-The Fringe Show: Tom Jones
-Fall Benefit Show: Shakespeare Unscripted
-It's a Wonderful Life, A Live Radio Show
- The Taming of the Shrew by William Shakespeare (July 23rd - September 1st)
- Wealthy Baptista has two daughters; gentle and beautiful Bianca who is much sought after by the noble men of the town and Katherine who is, well, a shrew. As the oldest, Katherine must marry first but Bianca’s many suitors can’t afford to wait, so they convince the boisterous and quick-witted Petruchio to take on the challenge of domesticating the sharp-tongued, quick-tempered “shrew.” Can Petruchio subdue Katherine’s temper and win her bountiful dowry along with her love? Or will she continue her shrewish ways in Shakespeare’s ultimate battle-of-the-sexes comedy!
"I am as peremptory as she proud-minded. And where two raging fires meet together they do consume the thing that feeds their fury." Act 2, Scene 1
- Henry V by William Shakespeare(August 6th - September 1st)
- With the death of his father, young King Henry must abandon his wasted youth and transform into a leader of men. His country embroiled in bitter civil war and his people restless and dissatisfied, Henry launches a daring invasion that climaxes in the fateful battle of Agincourt. Weakened and outnumbered, the English face near certain defeat, but Henry’s inspirational leadership spurs a reversal of fortune and turns a man into a legend. Henry V crowns SSC’s three-play exploration of Hal from ne’er-do-well prince to fabled king.
Henry V marks Artistic Director Marco Barricelli's return to the SSC stage.
“From this day to the ending of the world, but we in it shall be remembered, we few, we happy few, we band of brothers…” – Act IV, Scene 3
- Tom Jones adapted by Jon Jory (August 20th & 27th)
The Fringe Show
- Abandoned as a child to the care of Squire Allworthy, Tom Jones is now all grown up and launched into the bewildering romantic world. He falls madly in love wih the virtuous Sophia Western, but Sophia's father is determined to keep the two apart. In his pursuit of true love, the well-intentioned Tom finds himself the object of female attention and hysterical romantic complications. Tom Jones is a bawdy and rollicking comedy for the stage. The Fringe Show has fast become a favorite of SSC audiences as our talented acting and production interns are given their opportunity in the spot light!
**Please note - Everyone needs a ticket, regardless of age. All children, even if sitting on your lap, will still be required a ticket for entry into the venue.**
Advanced ticket sales end 3 hours prior to show time. Any remaining tickets may be purchased at the door.
Event parking on the UCSC campus is $4, cash only.