Summer Visitors Program 2014Each summer, Lick Observatory hosts a Summer Visitors Program (SVP) where the public is invited to observe through both the 36-inch Great Lick Refractor and Nickel 40-inch Reflecting Telescope. Each evening also features two speakers, who present programs even if clouds or fog prohibit viewing.
Lick astronomers present multimedia lectures on their research or topics of current interest. A "History of Lick Observatory" talk is also presented. Amateur astronomer volunteers provide additional outside viewing and informal talks.
Program begins with the first talk at sunset. Observing begins when it gets dark and continues until everyone has had the opportunity to view through both telescopes.
*Please note: We regret that due to the historic construction of the telescope domes and safety concerns, neither the Lick 36-inch refracting nor the Nickel 40-inch reflecting telescopes are wheelchair accessible at this time. Those who have difficulty navigating stairs may also find the telescopes inaccessible. Funds are being raised through the Friends of Lick Observatory to repair the elevating floor of the Lick 36-inch telescope to re-enable handicap access.*
**Please note: Due to safety regulations, children must be at least 8 years of age for admission. No exceptions. Due to late hours the program may be difficult for children under 12. **
All tickets are $12 including service charge.
Tickets on sale for FOLO members Tuesday, 4/1 @12pm and for the General Public Tuesday, 4/15 @12pm
Doors open 1 hour prior to event start time.
Tickets go off sale at 12pm on the day of the event. Tickets will not be available at the door.
Summer Visitors Program #7 - SOLD OUT
- Friday, August 15, 2014 - 8:00 pm
- Speaker: Steve Croft - University of Californa at Berkeley
- Talk: "Snacking, Gorging, and Cannibalizing: The Feeding Habits of Black Holes"
Summer Visitors Program #8 - SOLD OUT
- Friday, August 29, 2014 - 8:00 pm
- Speaker: Andreas Burkert - Ludwig-Maximillians University of Munich
- Talk: "A Close Encounter with the Massive Black Hole in the Galactic Center"
Summer Visitors Program #9 - SOLD OUT
- Saturday, August 30, 2014 - 8:00 pm
- Speaker: J. Xavier Prochaska - University of California at Santa Cruz
- Talk: "Cosmology in the 21st Century"