Music of the Spheres 2014Each summer Lick Observatory hosts the Music of the Spheres concert series. Program for each includes the concert, a talk by a University of California astronomer about current research and, weather permitting, viewing with the historic 36-inch Great Lick Refractor and the Nickel 40-inch telescope. A knowledgeable group of local amateur astronomer volunteers provide additional viewing of the sky and informal discussion of astronomy.
*Please note: We regret that due to the historic construction of the telescope domes and safety concerns, neither the Lick 36-inch refracting nor the Nickel 40-inch reflecting telescopes are wheelchair accessible at this time. Those who have difficulty navigating stairs may also find the telescopes inaccessible. Funds are being raised through the Friends of Lick Observatory to repair the elevating floor of the Lick 36-inch telescope to re-enable handicap access.*
**Please note: Due to safety regulations, children must be at least 8 years of age for admission. No exceptions. Due to late hours the program may be difficult for children under 12. **
- Ticket prices are as follows (including service charge):
- Standard - $44.50
- Preferred - $95.50
- VIP - $156.50
- Groups 20+ - $39.50
- The following benefits are available at the various price levels:
- Standard - Open seating on either side of the stage. Astronomy lecture. Viewing through the historic Lick 36-inch and Nickel 40-inch telescopes. Commemorative wine glass or coffee cup.
- Preferred - Preferred seating at concert on either side of stage. Astronomy lecture. Preferential viewing through the historic Lick 36-inch and Nickel 40-inch telescopes. Commemorative wine glass or coffee cup. 20% discount in our gift shop.
- VIP - Private group tour of the Shane 3-m reflecting telescope 2.5 hours before the concert. Catered light buffet dinner with wine and other beverages. Front/center seating at concert. Astronomy lecture. Priority viewing through the historic Lick 36-inch and Nickel 40-inch telescopes. Commemorative wine glass or coffee cup. 20% discount in our gift shop.
*Tickets on sale for FOLO Members Tuesday 4/1 @12pm and for the General Public Tuesday 4/15 @12pm*
Doors open 1 hour prior to event start time.
Tickets go off sale at 12pm the day prior to the event. Any remaining tickets can be purchased at the door.
Music of the Spheres Concert #4: Daniel Roest - SOLD OUT!
- This year classical guitarist Daniel Roest welcomes guest artist Stevie Coyle, steel-string guitarist, a veteran of decades of touring with a unique sense of humor and entertaining repertoire.
- Saturday, August 16, 2014 - 8:00 pm
- Speaker: Chris Fassnacht - University of California at Davis
- Talk: "Measuring the Universe with Gravitational Lenses"